The first time that I walked into a Pilates studio I was in awe. My Pilates instructor showed me around, introduced me to the equipment and started the session.
I was amazed how quickly she could read my body, change the exercises, and transition me from one piece of equipment to the next. There was no hesitation in her voice or stumbling of the cues, she was so beautifully confident in what she was doing that I couldn’t stop admiring her (thank you Sandy Goodin for being such a gentle and inspiring teacher!)
Even before I had my first real Pilates lesson I knew that I wanted to become a Pilates instructor. But experiencing the magic of a private Pilates session really lit the fire inside of me that has been burning ever brighter for the past 5 years. I was on a mission to start my Pilates training and, frankly speaking, it’s probably the best thing that I have ever done for my body and my soul.
I remember the days when I was just researching the possibility of becoming a Pilates instructor. I remember the questions that have been running through my mind. I remember the doubts and excitement that I was overflowing with. I really wish I had the resource that I could turn to to answer all of those questions…
Today I am starting a series of 3 articles that answer some of the biggest questions that most aspiring Pilates students and teachers have. I have talked to 14 amazing Pilates Super Stars and studio owners who shared their experience and best advice. Today we focus on
One thing I wish I knew before starting my Pilates training
If you are thinking about getting certified to be a Pilates instructor then these answers will offer you a roadmap on your Pilates journey.
(BTW, feel free to download the image or share it on your favorite social media website. You might just help light the Pilates fire in someone’s heart :-))
Did you find these answers inspiring or helpful? Please share this article with your Pilates friends and let our community grow!
I wanted to thank every instructor and studio owner who shared advice for this article. Please check out their websites and sign up for a class if you find a studio in your area!
- Susannah Cotrone co-owns Cotrone Pilates in West Hollywood, CA with her husband Sam Cotrone. They were certified by Authentic Pilates in 2001, now known as Romana’s Pilates. Both Sam and Susannah share a passion for dance, and have danced professionally. The Cotrones are dedicated to teaching the method while keeping the work fun and lively.
- Anula Maiberg co-owns Sixth Street Pilates in the heart of New York City’s East Village. “We pride ourselves on our commitment to personalized attention and intelligent teaching, and our staff has been certified by some of the finest teacher certification programs in the country. At Sixth Street Pilates we believe that no two bodies are the same, and our mission is to work with each student as an individual with unique needs and goals. We welcome people of all ages and levels of physical ability.”
- Alisa Wyatt is the creator of Pilatesology.com, the largest growing library of pure Pilates, true to the way Joseph Pilates taught.
- Anastasiya Goers enjoys teaching private Pilates sessions in her home studio in Fort Mill, SC. Every minute that she doesn’t spend teaching or taking care of her two sets of twins she focuses on growing her Pilates knowledge and creating awesome new resources for PilatesBridge.com
- Marcia Polas teaches “Occupational Pilates” – “I study my students in their environment and have made a study of some specific occupations – the movement patterns, issues, and rigors of a job. When I work with students on how they use their bodies in their every day lives, I’m able to use Pilates to train and reverse train their patterns, and to help them integrate their Pilates practice into there lives.” You can find out more about her classes at PolasPilates.com
Marcia is also the author of Piper the Petite Pilates Princess – a Pilates-inspired fairy-tale for all ages.
- Melissa Kakavas is the Director of Pilates Education at EVOLVE Movement in Raleigh, NC as well as a faculty member of Balanced Body. Melissa is most rewarded when a student learns to overcome weaknesses, finds new strengths, and nurtures a strong sense of self through intelligent movement.
- Rachel Robertson is a registered Kinesiologist certified in Fusion Pilates and STOTT Pilates trained. She teaches out of her home studio in British Columbia, Canada as well as works at a local Pilates studio and a rehabilitative and exercise facility that encompasses all aspects of a healthy lifestyle. I truly believe that there is a way for everyone to have some form of exercise. You can find out more about her on her website Pilates Is My Lifestyle
- Andrea Speir was classically certified through Power Pilates. She is known for teaching fun, energetic sessions with added elements of modern fitness and cardio to up the client’s results. She stars in the DVD “Perfect Pilates Body” (Appcession) which is also an iTunes Top 100 Fitness app and the DVD “Trim, Tighten and Tone” (The Pilates Fix). She co-founded The Pilates Fix, which is a company that promotes healthy living through physical fitness, nutrition and creating healthy addictions.
- Sunni Almond is the owner of Studio S Pilates, a private, boutique, classical Pilates studio in Temecula, CA. “At Studio S Pilates the classical version is taught on classical apparatus. As a former skydiver, I’ve used Pilates to be stable in the sky. Walking my 3 Great Danes, I’ve used Pilates to not be torn limb from limb during a bunny sighting. Having had some broken bones with surgical repairs, I’ve used Pilates to keep my body strong while I healed…so I get it! I know Pilates can help you live your life, I pass that on to my clients.”
- Sean P. Gallagher teaches Authentic Pilates™ at The New York Pilates Studio ® and works with those interested in the quality of Joseph Pilates work by licensing The New York Pilates Studio ® and the Pilates Guild ® trademarks and the Sean Gallagher Pilates Archives around the world.
- Lindsay Lopez is the owner of FORM Pilates Union Square in the heart of NYC. FORM Pilates Union Square is a haven not only for clients to learn Pilates in, but also to break out teachers from their Pilates Prison. Lindsay’s wish is to provide her peers with the business training they so desperately need. As a positive coach and gutsy mentor, Lindsay Lopez is changing Pilates business for the better.
- Devra Swiger owns a private Pilates home studio AB-Pilates in Huntington Beach, CA. “If my client does not leave feeling better than before he or she began, then I failed. I have a crazy sense of humor and my cues can be odd, but my clients get a kick out of me. Why not? We can’t take life or Pilates too seriously all the time, can we?”
- Angela Sassinak Barsotti teaches at her home studio in downtown Toronto, Canada (Ugly Duckling Pilates.) “I mostly cater to injured and degenerative types of students because my own recovery and rehabilitation lead me into constant learning around safest movement practices and because I have a gift for the people who don’t fit into gym culture. You’ll sweat here, but you’ll have fun doing it and feel better when you’re done.”
- Anabel Garver is currently the Pilates Specialist at COMO Shambhala Spa at Parrot Cay Resort in Turks and Caicos Islands. She is PhysicalMind Mat and Polestar Mat and Full Studio educated. She also is a Medical Exercise Specialist, Reiki Master and Personal Trainer. In addition to teaching she manufactures a line of Pilates footwear – The Shu Store.
- Andrea Maida teaches in her home studio in Solana Beach, CA as well as shares her Pilates “nerdiness” on her blog at Pilates Andrea. She offers private and semi-private Pilates lessons that encourage clients to learn and own all aspects of their workout. And she likes to have fun!