Pilates makes you feel good. We all know that.
But looking good while doing Pilates makes us feel even better.
Choosing the right outfit for your Pilates practice might not be the most important thing but it can definitely make a huge difference in how comfortable you feel during your session. There are a lot of activewear companies that advertise having the absolute best product for you. The prices and styles range from $10 to $200+ making you wonder what the big deal is about a piece of fabric.
Here are a couple of things to look for when choosing your Pilates activewear:
- Comfort is a must. A Pilates session is not a fashion show. Even though we want to look good, first and foremost we must make sure that we are comfortable in our clothes. The most expensive and fashionable Pilates outfit is worthless if it restricts the movement or is too tight. A good rule of thumb is to choose a simpler design that doesn’t have too many straps, pockets or other details that will get in the way.
- Good coverage. If you are taking Pilates sessions in a studio setting you want to make sure that your outfit covers you no matter what move you are doing. If you are going into a Short Spine or Jack Knife you don’t want the bottom of your T-shirt falling over your head. And while doing Leg circles on the reformer you don’t want your super-short or loose shorts revealing something that should be kept private. An outfit with good coverage will prevent any embarrassment for you, your instructor and other students in your class.
- Opt for a form-fitting outfit. A good Pilates instructor is always checking your form and alignment to make sure that you don’t injure yourself and that you get personalized attention even in a group class. Doing so is very difficult if you are wearing track pants and a baggy sweat shirt. Be proud of your body and don’t be afraid to show it in a comfortable outfit.
- Choose quality fabrics. The difference between a $10 and $150 pair of pants is usually in the thickness and quality of the fabric. Even though cheaper outfits can often be comfortable, the fabric they are made out of is often too thin. While they are great for lounging around the house, they can be almost see-through during your Pilates session. This is particularly true of the active form-fitting bottoms (leggings, capris, pants etc.)
- Make sure the outfit doesn’t stretch out or fade after frequent washes. You will wash your Pilates wear often so make sure that the fabric can hold up to the demands of your active lifestyle.
- Choose a multifunctional outfit if possible. In an ideal world we would have plenty of time to do everything on our to-do list and then some. In real life we always have errands to run, last-minute tasks to finish and unexpected surprises to deal with. Having a multifunctional outfit that can be worn to a Pilates class, a grocery store or a lunch at a local bistro will definitely save you time and guarantee that you don’t miss your session no matter how busy your life gets.
- Let your outfit show your personality. Our style reflects who we are. Some outfits make us feel confident and on top of the world. Others “fertilize” our insecurities by letting us hide from the world under the layers of shapeless, colorless fabric. You are more likely to enjoy your workout, reap all of its benefits and stick to a healthy lifestyle if you choose an outfit that you love.
To sum it all up, your Pilates outfit should feel like your second skin.
After years of being a fitness and Pilates instructor I’ve worn plenty of activewear brands from Nike to Lululemon. There was something to love about each one of them. Recently I’ve tried a new line of fitness wear called
Ellie. This is the picture of me wearing an Ellie outfit.
I was really impressed with the quality, comfort and smart design of the outfit especially considering how reasonably it was priced. It definitely satisfies all of the demands mentioned above.
You can get the best deal if you sign up for a monthly subscription which lets you pick two pieces (top and bottom) every month for just $49.95 (click here to view Ellie Pilates styles.)
But today you can win a FREE Pilates Ellie outfit.
- Share this article with your friends.
- Click here to enter the giveaway.
P.S. Members of the Pilates Bridge community (learn more) get a 20% discount on Ellie outfits.